When you think about the perfect gift for someone you really love, diamonds are very often what comes to mind. The entire face of the recipient lights up when they open that present and see a diamond staring back at them. Let's not forget that getting down on one knee and presenting a diamond to your loved one is a sure sign that you want to commit the rest of your life to that person.
Let's look at 5 reasons why we all love what diamonds have to offer:
1. Diamonds maintain their value – Not only do diamonds maintain their value, they may even be worth more with each passing year. Diamonds are hardy stones that are very difficult to damage, so there is little chance that you can do them harm. Regardless of the type of diamond you buy, you can be sure that you have made a smart investment.
2. Diamonds are beautiful, but also work hard – We tend to think of diamonds as something we put in jewelry, but the fact of the matter is that they also make great tools. As we already mentioned, diamonds are tough, and are in fact the hardest mineral substance out there. This is why they are used for tools such as saws and drill bits. The best surgeons in the world have been known to use diamond-edged scalpels. These stunning gemstones are also seen as a spiritual aid, with many cultures believing that evil spirits can be kept at bay by diamonds.
3. Diamonds never go out of style – Diamonds became the gift to give that special lady in your life the moment that Archduke Maximillian presented the first ever diamond engagement ring to his future wife. Formerly only worn by kings, diamonds are now the perfect gift for the queen in your life and are also the decoration of choice of some of the most famous and iconic women in the world. Diamonds come in a stunning array of cuts and colors, making it possible to find the perfect gemstone for any taste.
4. Diamonds are forever – Diamonds are known to be indestructible, which is because the name for these beautiful gemstones was taken from the Greek word "adamas," which translates to indestructible and unconquerable. Diamonds are forever and are now routinely given on the 10th and 60th wedding anniversary. Men often get a bad rap as being something unromantic, but the moment they propose to their girlfriends with a big sparkling diamond, they are making it clear that they want to spend "forever" with their lady. What could possibly be more romantic than that?
5. Diamonds are a rare gift – While other stones are made from a variety of different elements, diamonds are forged from carbon atoms and are millions of years in the making. These rare stones are buried deep underground, with roughly 250 tons of earth moved to find just a single carat of diamonds. About a quarter of the diamonds found are used to make jewelry, and only roughly one in a thousand will weigh more than a single carat. It is possible to now get man-made diamonds, but it is those rare gems that come in a variety of different colors that are the true finds.
You do not really need a reason to buy a diamond, but we believe that the 5 we have listed above should move anyone still on the fence. Diamonds are perhaps Mother Nature's most amazing creation, especially given how long it takes to make something so breathtaking. It really is no wonder that we are all so taken by the brilliance of a diamond.